… picture taken in Graz, Austria...

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Last Friday afternoon

I just put new pictures on my facebook page...I was able to replay the memories of last Friday afternoon.

Mike had the afternoon off because of his weekend game. I read previously in my Switzerland guide book of a museum here in Fribourg that is worth visiting. When I offered the outing to Mike, he was enthused along with me,  so we ventured to the Art & History Museum of Fribourg.

It ended up being a short walk up the hill, only about 3 blocks and the cost only 6 francs. The building was beautiful, with part of it being a restored church. The church part was filled with stunning stained glass windows. ( I know my uncle Ger and aunt Sue would have loved to see this part!)

The lady at the front desk gave us a map, in English. But we shortly found out that all of the information was in French and German, NO English. I was still, however, very content viewing all of the historical artifacts, sculptures and paintings without much background information. Mike on the other hand wasn't...he got very antsy, very quickly. He started touching things and making me nervous in his presence. I asked him kindly to "Please stop touching things. You are supposed to look, not touch." His response was, "I was that kid on field trips that the teacher had to keep an eye on." This would have been nice to know before bringing him to the museum with me. haha

But Mike ended up being a very good sport for me. He got his touching under control, and allowed me to enjoy the rest of the beauty we had ahead of us.

After the museum, we looked around in a small park that was filled with many decorative flowers and bushes. This location was also close to the Sarine River that surrounds the city and had a wonderful view of it.

We next traveled to my favorite spot in Switzerland...a "Tea Room." (In America, we would call this place a Bakery/ Chocolate Store) You would probably assume I was interested in the Chocolate part...negative. I will admit that I have fallen in love with the Croissants here!

I have had a croissant before, it was nothing special. But biting into my first Switzerland Croissant was one of the most amazing food experiences I have ever had...(and this is saying ALOT because I LOVE FOOD!) My croissant adventure doesn't end there. The lady who serves me the croissant is almost half of the fun.

The same happy lady has been working in this particular Tea Room EVERY time I have visited, which is about every to every other day. And she knows I don't speak French, because of my first visit I told her I only speak English. Despite this small crutch, getting my treat is simple. I just point to it, hold up a finger indicating how many I would like and nod my head. She is able to understand this, bags it and puts the total on the cash register for me to pay. As I am doing my thing, she is doing hers...she wears a continuous smile and rambles on and on in this foreign language nodding her head, as if I understand completely, exactly what she is saying to me. I just smile back, make a few high pitch noises, take my croissant and leave. And I repeat, this happens EVERY time I visit. It actually makes me a little nervous each time I enter this place and find it intimidating...but little will get in the way of me and that croissant.

After this Mike and I share a good laugh about the continuous event that takes place each time we visit her and then set off of for our apartment where I am able to enjoy my little pleasure.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Yes... croissants are sooo amazing here. All the desserts actually :) Ben and I went to the pharmacy to buy baking soda today..hahahah...weirdos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Shannon...your blog and hearing about all your little adventures. You are a very good story teller. Miss you lots!!

    ReplyDelete