… picture taken in Graz, Austria...

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

1st Post

Bonjour!

I have been in Fribourg, Switzerland 2 weeks today! It took 15 hours to get here (plus a 7 hour time change) and I did it all by myself...it was more comforting knowing Mike was waiting on the other side. I arrived in the evening and was exhausted from all of the traveling and little sleep. We ate some pasta and just went to right to bed.

The next day after Mike's morning practice, he took me out throughout the town. It was a gorgeous day and I was able to take a lot of great pictures. We took cobble stone paths down to the river that flows through the city, from there we went over many different stone bridges back and forth enjoying the sites.

We next journeyed to the Cathedral of St. Nicholas a few blocks away. We were able to go inside and look around, it was an outstanding structure with much history. It was constructed in the 1100s and not complete til 1300s. We were able to walk up to the top for 3.50 francs each. It took 365 winding, dark, small steps to the top. But at the top it was worth it! We were able to see the entire city and beyond.

Our excursion didn't stop here, we next traveled more into the city. We discovered many shops of all different sorts. I was in awe the entire time and unable to take my eyes off the surreal surroundings. I almost feel as if I am in a different era. Everything is very gothic and detailed. Each building has intricate stone carvings that consists of medieval  designs. And as I mentioned before...many of the paths, side streets especially are cobblestone.

In this part of town we went into several places and did a lot of window shopping. We did our shopping for necessities at a store, called Coop, in the Fribourg Centre (or mall). Then we ventured back home to our very small apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment