… picture taken in Graz, Austria...

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Grocery Shopping here is NOTHING like in America

Firstly, our fridge is underneath the counter...so there is limited space. Therefore, we typically have been going grocery shopping daily.
The fridge is next to the oven.

While at the store....we don't get to use a shopping cart, we use a small basket.

Thankfully there are pictures on the food labels or it would be way more difficult. (it's all in French or German)  However, it is still kind of difficult. One example: Mike and I were buying spices and some baking supplies one day...having a very hard time finding cinnamon. After day 2, Mike finally just opened one and smelled it..."I found CINNAMON," he screamed. haha

I was having a hard time finding baking soda, (for baking banana bread.) I translated it to French then asked a nice store lady. She told me I had to get that at the pharmacy. So I got BAKING SODA at the PHARMACY.

Sadly, there is a small selection of milk options, 3.5% fat or 2.5% fat.  I have an extreme love for milk, so I have been sucking it up and drinking the "lower fat" milk. And it only comes in liters!...so that's on our shopping list daily.

Earlier this week we bought a bottle of champagne from a different grocery store, Migros.  We opened it for dinner that night, it tasted so sweet and delicious. I translated the label online and found out "saans alcool" means "without alcohol." haha

Also, you have to pay for grocery bags. So on every shopping outing we bring bags and backpacks to fill up with our grocery items.

Each day we get a little bit better at the grocery store...hopefully we have it down soon!

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you two are having some great adventures together. They are pretty funny to read! I can't imagine 2.5% milk tasting good at all, I am also a huge milk drinker. Maybe you could try watering it down, I have heard some people say that skim milk tastes like water (worth a try I guess). I hope you both have many fun adventures and make a lot of memories! Tell Mike I say hi and you both take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are-we call it our Switzerland adventures...it's such an experience adjusting to the new culture. And i am going to try the water with milk thing...because it is so thick right now! Mike says Hi back! How are things with you and Jacob?? and life?? Fill us in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things are great! He is still working in Devils Lake 6 days a week which really stink. But it will come to an end soon about a month or so. We are really happy and am glad that we are finally married!! I told Jacob that I told you to mix it with water to see what happens and he looked at me like I was crazy. haha, so you will have to let me know if that works or not. I am so jealous, what an amazing place that has to be!!! Have fun & Take care!

    ReplyDelete