… picture taken in Graz, Austria...

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Haircut

I made sure to get a hair cut just the day before I left for Switzerland, so I wouldn't need my next one for awhile. It's now December and I am in need of a trim to get rid of my split ends.

Awhile ago I talked so some of the girls asking them where I should go when I need a haircut and about how much it would be. They concluded that there are salons all over the city, so that's not a problem…but the price is outrageous = ~ 75 CHF (~$75)! Also, if I want conditioner after they shampoo, that would cost me an extra 10 francs. I was now rethinking more about whether I will need a haircut or not. One girl did inform me that her friend went to hair school and she could get my hair done for cheaper. This intrigued me, however I was still skeptical.

There are actually two hair salons next to our apartment, "Anges Coiffures- pour dames et messieurs" and "Black Hair Hair Salon."  Yesterday when walking back to our apartment, we noticed that a lady was in "Anges Coiffures" and not busy. We entered and attempted to speak to her, she spoke German and no English. I did notice a sign while I was there that advertised a shampoo and cut for 25 CHF!

So that night, I used google translate to put a couple of phrases into German so I would be able to communicate with the hair lady. I translated, "I would like a haircut, when can I get one?" and "I would like a trim to cut off my split ends, just cut off about 5 cm please. Thank you." I wrote the German versions on a piece of paper. Today Mike and I went down to the salon to attempt getting me a haircut.

I was very nervous prior, because not only is this my first hair cut in Switzerland…it's also my first haircut from someone other than my mom and this lady doesn't even speak English. I had no idea what I would come out looking like.

The phrases I had translated worked, and with many hand gestures and head nodding we were able to figure out what we each wanted. I hopped into the hair chair that moment, she put an apron on me that had holes for my arms. I thought that was pretty neat. She then again verified the amount of hair I wanted cut, I agreed and then it began. The strange thing about this "cut" though was that she didn't use scissors. She used a tool that looked like a jagged razor and then would take pieces of my hair and angle razor my hair off. I have never had this done to my hair before, but I just let her do her work. I wouldn't be able to object anyways because of the language barrier. She was very precise with my hair and didn't cut very much off, both I was very pleased with. She even gave me a little product in my hair at the end.

When she was finished, I said, "Danke" and she replied, "Bitte". She then gave me a card that she filled out and we were able to understand that if I get 9 haircuts the 10th one would be free! However, I may just do one more haircut while I am here.

Success! I got a reasonably priced and good haircut today! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment