… picture taken in Graz, Austria...

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Conquered the Bus today!

We have seen the busses go by daily all throughout the city of Fribourg. However, we have never attempted to ride them. We usually walk anywhere we need to go within the town.

Back story: Mike still doesn't have his contracted car from the team. So he is usually stuck riding with others to basketball practices or events, and when we go other places we simply walk. Lately, it's been getting colder with snow. So he asked the team if he could get a bus pass, he got it late last week.

Today, Mike wanted to go to the gym for a basketball "shoot around". These aren't required so most of his teammates don't attend. So now was his first chance to use the bus pass. From some past speculations, we knew he had to go to the bus stop about a block away to get to the gym. He got on the first bus that stopped there…

I was still at the apartment, when about 15 minutes after he left for the gym, I received a text, "I think I got on the wrong bus I don't know where I am," and then, "And now the driver parked and turned off the bus for lunch."

Mike walked in the door a few minutes after, I asked what happened, he replied, " I got on the bus, it went up and around a hill, then I was the only person on it, when all of sudden the driver turned off the bus and ate lunch for about 5 minutes. When the bus started again and approached our apartment, I just got off and decided not to go to the gym." (Mike failed)

We next ate a quick lunch and would be soon off towards the grocery store for some needed items. I thought we should try this bus thing again, so we went to the nearest bus stop outside of our apartment and stood in front of the signs doing our best at reading and trying to figure out how to purchase a ticket for me, which bus to get on, where does it go, when does it stop, etc. After about 15 minutes, we think we about had it all down. The machine printed me off a ticket that I could use for the next 30 minutes, it cost 2.40 CHF, and we were getting on bus #2 headed towards the mall (where the grocery store is located.)

We did successfully make it to the mall, however when we approached the doors, they didn't open.  We also noticed that there weren't as many people out and about as usual. We assumed it was some sort of Swiss Holiday. We then just picked up a few things at the Train Station, (which is always open and across the street from the mall), we then got on bus #2 back to our apartment. (Mike and Shannon passed!)

We felt pretty accomplished walking back into our apartment after riding the bus to and from the train station/ mall area. We even high-fived in celebration! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment