… picture taken in Graz, Austria...

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

They recognize the German in me

In the United States, my dark complexion and features had many people fooled.  I can't even put a number to how many thought I was another ethnicity. Especially in the summer time, after a days tan, then the occurrences were about every other day.

I have heard the following guesses at what my background is; Hispanic, Philippine, Cuban, Guatemalan,  French, Native American, Indian, Italian and probably some others I can't remember right now. It's always strangers who ask with the most confidence too, and most often it's the customers to where I waitress. But in other random occasions as well.

There was a time on a travel to Duluth, MN. We stopped at a small diner on the way, the waitress asked me what tribe I belonged to...or... I have visited Mexico a couple times, with each vacation I have had the locals come to me and say, "espanol?" or just simply start up a conversation in Spanish.

HOWEVER, in Switzerland...these people know people.

When at the phone store, the employee recognized my last name and asked, "Is this the same Medenwalds' from southern Germany?" And I could finally reply, "yes, my ancestors are from there." That's not the only time, at a visit to the post office our English was hard for the lady to understand. She looked at me and asked, "deutsch?" The answer was yes, but I do not speak any German to help out this matter.

I am sure bordering the country my ancestors are from helps with the recognition, but either way, it's nice  that people are finally get it right. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment