… picture taken in Graz, Austria...

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Chez Aeby

This is the name of a small grocery store very close to our apt, it's across the street and less than a block away. It is open monday through saturday, 0800-1800 closing of course for lunch daily from 1200-1330.

Mike was in Switzerland about 20 days before I got here, he visited this place very often due to it's convenient location, which led to familiarizing himself with the only person ever working in the store. The lady store owner, (we still haven't found out her name, probably something we should get on our next visit.) When I arrived to Switzerland, this was one of the first places Mike brought me. She was delighted to meet Mike's American girl friend.

She is a very sweet, welcoming lady, well in her 60s. She doesn't speak english the greatest, but loves to practice on us. Every time we enter the store she recognizes and greets us with, "Hello" rather than the usual "Bonjour." Even after gathering our items and paying she usually attempts to continue the conversation. One saturday we asked her what her weekend plans were, she responded by saying, "I will be very busy, I have 10 pictures coming for eating tomorrow." I pondered her reply for a bit...then corrected her with, " You have 10 people coming for dinner?" She smiled and giggled a little saying, "..ooohhh yes, PEOPLE not pictures." haha

She even gives us treats when we visit, usually little chocolate pieces but one day we were really lucky and received a, larger than normal, cucumber!

Because of her nice gestures, I wanted to do something nice for her. One morning I baked a pan of Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake. I wrapped up a couple pieces for her and then got on a french translator website, so I could write her a note. In French, I wrote "I baked apple coffee cake this morning and would like you to have some." Once I was finished we headed over to Chez Aeby for the delivery.  She was more pleased than we had expected. She made little happy noises, then proceeded to hug and kiss both Mike and I! Then she read the note, and complimented with a "Bravo!" When we left, we all had huge smiles on our faces! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment